Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Favorite Pick-Me-Up


So I'm back from the funeral, ho-hum. I'm tired, depressed, and broke. So naturally, I go for the one sure-fire strategy for lifting my spirits: looking at luxury real estate.

I have no idea why this cheers me up. Nevertheless, over the past several years, I've found looking at multi-million dollar condos, co-ops, and townhomes located mainly in Manhattan really comforting.

My mother is a real estate agent in Ohio, so I've been looking at real-estate either in person or via the Multiple Listing Service since birth. Combine that with my family's constant desire to live in fantasyland throughout my childhood, and you have a 28-year old with an insanely active fantasy life.

You see growing up my family had its financial and emotional ups and downs. Throughout it all we had subscriptions to two magazines: Elle and Conde Nast Traveler, with occasional subscriptions to W and Vogue. We couldn't always pay the mortgage, but I could always read the advice of Elle's E. Jean, or find out which airline had the best first class service to Dubai. And with my parents constantly on the verge of divorce, my fantasy life had to be bullet-proof.

Luckily for me this week, it still is.

In college I discovered the New York Times Sunday Magazine. Every Sunday I would read through to the back, where several of the swankier Manhattan real estate firms listed properties. When I started reading the Times online, I began to click my way through the offerings of Brown Harris Stevens, Douglas Elliman, and Corcoran Properties.

These websites provided even more than the Multiple Listing Service ever did. With each visit, I began to discern exactly what I wanted/needed in a fantasy property. Then last summer a property came on the market that met all of my fantasy needs and specifications. It had an open floor plan, enough bedrooms for several out of town guests, considerable outdoor space for entertaining, and a good Manhattan location, all without being stuffy or too ostentatious.

All summer long, I showed it to friends who humored my constant chatter about finding the perfect luxury property. One dear, sweet friend even came with me to walk by it on a trip to New York last fall. When we walked by the doors were open. There was a wedding reception going on. I took this as a sign from the universe that we should take the private elevator up, but sadly my friend felt differently and decided to stop humoring me that instant.

It went off the market late last fall but is apparently back on the market as of August. You can view the $20 million property at: http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?Region=NYC&ListingID=220730

It is simply beautiful. I visited it today and instantly my spirits were lifted.

Last night my flight got in 2 hours late at midnight. After paying $100 to park near the airport for a week, I drove home only to scavenge around my neighborhood for 45 minutes looking for a parking spot. When I finally got to my door at 2am, I had a pile of mail waiting for me. I was tired, annoyed, and quite miserable. But located at the bottom of the pile were my copies of this month's Elle, and Conde Nast Traveler.

I dropped my suitcase, put on my pajamas, and immediately began reading about the new trends in 5 star hotels. I went to bed at 2:30am fully recharged.

Oh yeah, and the best first class service to Dubai?

Emirates Air, hands down.

Things aren't so bad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I want to live vicariously through your fantasies. I could never afford rich fantasies of my own.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Anika said...

Says the guy who gets to eat Cornflakes with Mango Chunks everyday! Your regular life traveling India seems pretty darn fabulous to me!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Anika said...

Sorry Sallie, no deal. You can visit, so can your husband, but you must go home.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home