Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Pink Pistols – Part Deux

Several years ago I read a Salon.com article titled Pink Pistols, a Swiftian argument for issuing guns to gay people in lieu of extending the hate crimes bill to include sexual orientation. It was quite funny.

Equally entertaining but not funny in the least, was Brokeback Mountain, the gay cowboy (read: Pink Pistols – 2) film I saw last night with a great friend. I call her a great friend because after seeing this incredibly depressing and poignant movie, she put up with, hell she even laughed at my barrage of smart ass comments, including the following:

“You know, for a comedy, it really wasn’t laugh out loud funny.”
(Note to readers: Brokeback Mountain was in no way a comedy. I have to make this note because last year when asked what I thought of Closer I said “it was an uplifting tale of love and commitment that made me immediately want to get back in the saddle and meet someone to settle down with.” He believed me and took a date to see it. I felt my sarcasm was clear, but from then on I’ve decided to make sure.)

“You know, the movie really shows us that love conquers all, even in Wyoming.”

“Well, at least he got his shirt back in the end.”

I would encourage everyone to see the film, if not to see why it was nominated for so many awards, then to understand my sarcastic and wholly inappropriate commentary.

Happy Viewing!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anika said...

How did your friend respond?
I thought he was sad because when he finally got his shirt back it was still dirty.
I'd be mad if someone stole my dirty shirt and didn't even bother to clean it over 20 years.
It brings new meaning to the last line, "Jack, I swear."

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home